Luxury Yacht Charter Desolation Sound
Yacht Charter in Desolation Sound
Desolation Sound is a deep water inlet in British Columbia, 90 miles north of the city of Vancouver. It is hugely popular with yacht charters as it boasts spectacular fjords, snow-capped mountains and an abundance of wildlife. The sound, on Canada’s Sunshine Coast, is the largest marine park in British Columbia, consisting of 6,350 acres of coast. Desolation Sound, which is four times the size of Britain, offers lots of safe anchorage locations, most of which are either totally or partly enclosed by high cliffs, islands or mountainsides.
Marinas in Desolation Sound
The closet marina facilities to Desolation Sounds are on the east coast of Vancouver Island. They include:
Comox Bay Marina
Tel: +250 339 2930
Discovery Harbour Marina
Tel: + 250 287 2614
Gorge Harbour Marina
Tel: +250 935 6433
Weather in Desolation Sound
Desolation Sound enjoys a temperate maritime climate, similar to that in Vancouver. Summers are very pleasant with an average temperature of around 22C, although this can peak to 30C. The summer months also tend to be dry, with the most rain falling in autumn. Temperatures fall off in October and November, to around 13C and in winter, from December to February, the average high is around 6C.
Top Five Things to do in Desolation Sound:
- Visit Teakerne Arm to see the incredible Cassel Falls.
- Explore Prideaux Haven by kayak.
- Swim in the lagoon-like Theodosia Inlet.
- Play golf at the Wayne Public Golf Course and enjoy incredible views of the sound.
- Anchor in Grace Harbour and watch the world go by.
Top 5 Restaurants in Desolation Sound:
- For pub food with a view head to the Lund Hotel, Lund.
- At the gateway to Desolation Sound you will find the Floathouse Restaurant, at the Gorge Harbour Marina Resort. www.gorgeharbour.com
- The Salmon Point Waterfront Restaurant and Bar in Comox enjoys stunning views. Tel: +250 923 7272
- The Tak Family Restaurant is great for the kids. Take-aways are also possible. Tel: +250 935 8555
- The Cove Restaurant in Squirrel Cove is a hidden gem. Tel: +250 935 6350