Luxury Yacht Charter New Caledonia
Yacht Charter in New Caledonia
New Caledonia is situated 1,500 km east of the coast of Australia, and is the third largest island in the Pacific, after Papua New Guinea and New Zealand. La Grand Terre, as the principal island is called, measures more than 500 kilometers from coast to coast, and is surrounded to the east by a number of smaller islands known as the Loyalty Islands. There is also an island to the south which is called Pine Island, or Iles des Pins. New Caledonia, which is a French overseas territory, is a hugely popular cruising destination, offering sailing enthusiasts endless possibilities to discover remote coves, snorkel or dive in clear blue waters and explore the mountainous regions of the main island.
Marinas in New Caledonia
Facilities for charter yachts throughout New Caledonia are excellent and include the following:
Tel: +687 277197
Port du Sud Marina
Tel: +687 274777
Tel: +687 439980
Tel: +687 265377
Marina du CNC
Tel: +687 262727
Marina de Oabido a Koumac
Tel: +687 425678
Marina de Hienghene
Tel: +687 424357
Marina de Touho
Tel: +687 428807
Marina de Lifou, in the Loyalty Islands
Tel: +687 451062
Weather in New Caledonia
The weather in New Caledonia is semi-tropical, and clearly marked by two seasons. The warm, humid season begins in October through to March, when temperatures peak at around 30C. The cooler drier season occurs between April and September, when temperatures are slightly lower. New Caledonia is known as the ‘land of eternal spring’, and its all-year sunshine makes it a wonderful sailing destination.
Top Five Things to do in New Caledonia:
- Play a memorable round of golf at the first-class Tina Golf Club. Tel: +687 428 283
- Hang out in Noumea, the cosmopolitan capital, which shares uncanny resemblance to the Cote d’Azur.
- Explore the Isle des Pins, a stunning place where time seems to have stayed still.
- Drop anchor off the north-east coast of Grand Terre, at Hienghene, a beautiful spot with cascading waterfalls, caves, lagoons and coral reefs.
- Sail to Amedee, a deserted island off Noumea which is quite simply heaven on earth.
Top 5 Restaurants in New Caledonia:
- Ouen Toro Restaurant at l’Escapade Island Resort – on Ilot Maitre Island – has to be one of the most romantic settings in the South Pacific. Tel: + 687 28 53 20
- Arguably the best French cuisine can be found at La Coupole, Noumea. Tel: +687 26 44 11
- For wonderful French home-cooked food head to Le Servigny, at the hotel of the same name, on Lifou Island. Tel: +687 45 12 44.
- The restaurant at the 4 star Ouré Hotel on the Ile des Pines enjoys a wonderful setting. Tel: +687 43 13 15.
- Chill out by the pool at the luxury hotel Le Paradis de Ouvéa, on the island of Ouvéa, before dining at its excellent restaurant. Tel: +687 45 54 00 .